Location: Visalia, CA
Posted: March 10, 2023
California Bioenergy LLC (CalBio) is one of the country’s leading developers of dairy digester projects for generating renewable vehicle fuel and electricity. Founded in 2006, CalBio works closely with local dairy farmers, the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC), the California Energy Commission (CEC), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the dairy industry to develop projects and help the state reduce greenhouse gases (GHGs), protect local air and water quality, while creating local jobs and providing meaningful benefits to the dairy. In partnership with its affiliates, Midwest Bioenergy, Northwest Bioenergy, and Southwest Bioenergy, the company is undertaking the development, construction, ownership and operation of dozens of dairy digester projects across the country.
A Project Engineer is a technical specialist with more than 10 year’s experience who manages projects under various company objectives. Project Engineers may act as representatives of owners due to their diverse backgrounds and knowledge. Capable of independently managing and controlling both internal and external teams from development/scoping phase, bidding, contracting, to full project execution. Possesses project management skillsets and a good working knowledge of project activities.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages multiple projects involving a range of technical complexity and scope breadth. May also manage various companies or supervise other project managers by acting as an Owner’s Representative. Works with procurement, construction, engineers, and agencies to provide project oversight and quality control and communicate performance and expectations. Manages change and RFI processes. Recognizes the importance and yet seeks to preserve the interrelationships of quality, resources, schedules, scope, risk, and project management.
- Assists and provides data/information to the team to make timely, informed, factual decisions. Conducts efficient group meetings to meet certain objectives and maintain the schedule. Possesses a good to excellent understanding of related field operations, construction practices, permitting, and safety issues. Works closely with clients (internal and external) and contractors to determine the requirements for each deliverable.
- Possesses a good technical understanding of electrical, controls, structural, civil, process, and mechanical engineering and design. Capable of reviewing and approving drawings and technical documents.
- Leads engineering projects by organizing and controlling project elements.
- Develops project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans and conferring with management.
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements, assigning personnel to phases and elements, and reviewing bids from contractors.
- Determines project specifications by studying product design, customer requirements, and performance standards.
- Completes technical studies and prepares cost estimates.
- Determines project schedule by studying project plan and specifications, calculating time requirements, and sequencing project elements.
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems.
- Controls project plan by reviewing design, specifications, and plan, scheduling changes, and recommending actions.
- Prepares project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; recommending actions.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with federal and state regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 10 years of professional experience.
- Planning/Organizing: Possesses strong organizational skills to effectively manage complex technical projects. Effectively works with multiple companies to direct and delegate work effort with clear expectations.
- Meeting Company Objective: Assists in promoting the company from a strategic standpoint. Seeks relationships to improve communications with clients and contractors/suppliers
- Communication Skills: Able to share information and provide the communication needs of the stakeholders. Can express ideas, both orally and in a written format, in a matter that is factual and succinct.
- Teamwork: Able to maintain and build relationships of highly motivated people to achieve goals in a climate of cohesiveness, cooperation, and enthusiasm. Solves problems jointly. Demonstrates open-mindedness and is effective as both a leader and a follower. Addresses issues promptly without isolating people.
- Adaptable/Flexible: Can effectively shift workload, priorities, and resources with changing scope and deadlines and still maintain overall work quality.
- Technical Competence: Strong technical knowledge in a broad range of engineering disciplines. Astute problem solver. Can dissect a complex technical issue and simplify it into smaller, workable efforts.
- Project Management: Takes strong leadership in the beginning and willingness to delegate responsibility and authority to others as projects progress. Can differentiate between important and unimportant issues. Understands major technical issues and can resolve them with potential and creative solutions.
- Process Improvements: Works to develop project implementation improvements through suggestions, team brainstorming, and other industry practices. Adds value, eliminates waste, and reduces cycle time. Documents proven improvements for utilization on other projects.
- Safety Awareness: Practices and designs safe work activities. Familiar with applicable industry safety designs and regulations.
- Software Knowledge: Proficient with MS Office Suite of tools, exposure to schedule software such as MS Projects and/or Primavera (P6)
Work locations are industrial and agricultural, primarily outdoors in the central valley of California. Temperatures range from 40 deg F in the winter to 115 deg F in the summer. Limited exposure to hazardous materials and/or toxic fumes will require the use of approved personal protective equipment. Regular exposure to heat, noise, flammable materials, rotating equipment, and other conditions normally encountered in an industrial environment should be expected. California Bioenergy will ensure all applicable work rules and safety requirements are closely adhered to.
This position will require heavy lifting (<50 lbs) and/or climbing ladder and/or stairs, bending squatting, and crawling in tight spaces to safely access work sites.
Pay Range Disclosure
The salary range for the position of Project Engineer reasonably expects to pay $100,000-$130,000 per year.
Interested candidates should submit the following information:
- Cover Letter
- Employment Application